Instructional and Curriculum Resources

Student Wellness and Academic Resources

During the semester, instructors may encounter students who are struggling with academic and personal circumstances. Below are links to campus resources that may be helpful when referring students.

Program Counsellors

Program Counsellors can address questions related to completing the degree requirements, academic consideration, changing majors/degrees, University policies, deferring an exam etc. A listing of the B.Sc. Program Counsellors can be found on the B.Sc. Advising website. A complete listing of all Program Counsellors on campus can be found on the UAIC website.

Learning Commons

There are numerous academic resources offered by the Learning Commons, including Supported Learning Groups for a variety of courses, workshops related to time management, taking multiple-choice exams, and general study skills. You can also set up individualized appointments with a learning specialist.

Specific support related to 1st and 2nd year MATH, PHYS, CHEM

The Science Commons, which provides subject specific help in MATH, PHYS and CHEM, is located on the 3rd floor of the Library. Upper year students in the physical sciences, or graduate students, are available to provide one-on-one support. For the hours of operation please see:

Personal issues

Counselling Services offers individualized appointments to help students work through personal struggles that may be impacting their academic performance. Counselling Services has also developed an on-line counselling guide to support faculty and staff working with students who are struggling.

If you're not sure how to respond to students in distress please consult the Responding to Students in Distress webpage developed by U of G Wellness services. This handout clearly outlines who best to contact for support, ways to talk to the student and who best to refer a student and when they are available.


The Student Accessibility Services (SAS) can provide services and support for students with a documented learning or physical disability. They can also provide information about how to be tested for a learning disability.  For more information, including how to register with the centre please see:

Health Concerns

Student Health Services is located on campus and is available to provide medical attention.

Stress and Anxiety Issues

For support related to stress and anxiety, besides Health Services and Counselling Services, students can seek support through Kathy Somers. Kathy Somers runs training workshops and one-on-one sessions related to stress management and high-performance situations. 

Additional Resources