Academic Supports

Academic Supports

Academic supports available to University of Guelph students:

Learning Commons

This unit is located in the McLaughlin Library and brings together a number of individuals and services aimed at helping students develop skills related to numeracy, writing, learning, research and use of technology. Throughout the year there are a number of workshops offered that are geared towards the above topics. Students can also book a one-on-one appointment with a learning specialist or peer helper who can address the student’s specific needs as they relate to test taking, study methods, learning strategies and time management. There are also a number of handouts available for students who want immediate information. Check out Learning Commons' website for more information.

Supported Learning Groups (SLG) 

These peer-led content-specific learning sessions are offered through the Learning Commons. Students who have previously and successfully completed a course in good standing, for which a SLG is offered, will attend the lectures for the course and then at a set time each week offer a group session to review content taught in lecture.  The session is designed for all students, regardless of grades and is free of charge. More information about the SLG program is available on the SLG website.

Science Commons

Located on the 3rd floor of the McLaughlin library, the science commons includes specific help rooms where students can access one-on-one help for chemistry, physics and math. The Science Commons website has full details of the hours of operations and services available.

Academic Learning Communities

 For students interesting in living with other students who are in the same degree program, academic learning communities or a cluster is a great option. You will have a cluster leader who will have completed some of the same courses you are going to complete in your first year. There are a number of activities scheduled throughout the semester to help you adjust to the academic and personal challenges of university life.

Student Accessibility Services (SAS)

The goal of the centre is to assist students with disabilities in fully participating in university activities and to take full advantage of the university campus. Students do need to register with the centre and provide appropriate documentation. The process to register can be longer than that in high school, so students are encouraged to contact the centre as soon as possible. Full details of the services offered by the centre and how to register can be found on the Student Accessibility Services website.

Academic Program Counsellors

Their role is to provide you will advice regarding your academic program. The B.Sc. Program Counsellors are located in the Science Complex Room 1329. The B.Sc. in Environmental Sciences Program Counsellor can be found in Johnston Hall.

Program counsellors provide support regarding: 

  • Policies and procedures of the institution
  • Changing majors
  • Academic consideration
  • Academic standing
  • Courses required to meet graduation requirements
  • Admission and transfer information
  • Referring to appropriate supports on campus
  • Liaison to faculty, staff, chairs etc regarding academic concerns and requests

Faculty Advisors

Each major has a faculty advisor associated with it. The faculty advisor is there to provide you with major specific advice regarding courses, careers, graduate opportunities etc.